Jan 3, 2010

Why ZFS?

First of all, I explain why I decided to try ZFS.

I have few servers. They are installed Linux/Solaris/Windows(not sever version). And I have some small HDDs (under 40GB). If I want to get the big drive, I should use Windows NTFS RAID or Linux/Solaris software RAID. But software RAID, except ZFS, cannot grow-up the capacity of its device after making the device. At that time, I need to move all files to other drives/computers, re-create new drive with adding disk, move all files from the drives/computers. Oh! a lot of time....

At first, I tried to use mdadm, Linux software RAID manager. But when I created the RAID-0 by mdadm, I could not add the new disk into the current RAID-0 device with mdadm command.

Perhaps, I had a mistake, but I could not find my mistake.

I have an experience ZFS file system on Solaris/x86 and it is very easy to manage the disks. So, I want to use ZFS file system on my Linux servers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I also experiencing zfs-fuse, that's where I found your blog!:)

    I use linux software raid in production servers, where I have multyple raid arrays and I combine them to a big LVM volume. This is the way to grow the space during usage.

    Cheers: Stone

    ReplyDelete